Sunday, October 9, 2016

The apology Donald Trump should have made... But didn't.

American People,
There is so much that I need to say right now to make amends and to reconcile.  My comments and attitudes toward women which were showcased by the tape released on 10/7 are inexcusable. 


To the women of America, I say this: I am sorry. In fact, "sorry" isn't enough. I have thought of you and treated you as objects but worse than that I have considered you my playthings. I have believed you existed only to serve me. I have used you repeatedly to stroke my ego and to feed my self absorption. I have repeatedly attempted to dominate you sexually as a way to elevate myself over you. I have consistently demeaned you as a way to exercise and demonstrate my false superiority. I have robbed you of your dignity and attempted to sabotage your self worth as individuals and as an entire gender.  My attitudes, behaviors, thoughts and words towards females have been infused with sexism and mysoginy. Because of my hurtful, demeaning, degrading and immoral, words, I AM SORRY. You should never be subject to this type of treatment. You deserve better in a president.

To men I say this: I am sorry. I have devalued your wives, your mothers, your daughters, your granddaughters, your aunts, your sisters, your nieces, your friends.  Because of me, women will trust you less.  I have modeled a man that you are ashamed to show your sons and from whom you need to protect your daughters. I have given you a despicable role model to follow. I am sorry. You deserve better in a president.

I know that an apology must be more than words.  It must be followed up with actual change in behavior. I hope that over time you will see how I have changed from the person you heard speaking on those tapes into a person deserving of your trust and the office of the White House. Time will tell. I hope that I will have that time. Please forgive me.

Omitted from this apology is:
The suggestion that your expectation of me is unrealistic, "I'm not a perfect person".
Allowance of my behavior because the incident was "more than a decade old".
Lots of stuff saying how great I am after all: "I've spent time with grieving mothers who've lost their children...etc, etc,"
A self inflated claim that "I will never, ever let you down".
Lessening the gravity of my crime by stating that it is "nothing more than a distraction".
Taking the heat off of me by claiming that other people's offenses are worse than mine: "Bill Clinton has actually abused women, and Hillary has bullied, attacked, shamed and intimidated his victims."


No comments:

Post a Comment