Monday, July 7, 2014

Goodbye Again

The line taxi is full of people and ready to pull away but the hugs aren't finished. How can she let go again? It hurts a thousand times less this time but still, it hurts; like pressing on an old wound. 

Two mom's crying.

In urgency, she hugs hard and looks hard, memorizing his face. We are too soon pulled away and ushered onto the crowded van.  She stands on the curb waving and crying. I stick my white hand out the window and wave. Panic for the finality of this moment overtakes me- “Wave goodbye to your mom” I command. He turns and waves through the dusty window and I hope she sees him.

“Why did you cry, Mom?” he asks me on our walk from the taxi stop to the house where we are staying. How can I explain why this hurts me too?
“Because I can't imagine having to say goodbye to my child again.”


I also cry because I know that I am the one that takes him away. I am the priveleged one that gets to take him home and watch him grow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment